My Family

My Family
Here we all are!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Sleep Biking?

Well, what do you know.  Apparently Callie was learning to ride a bike in her sleep.  I haven't even seen her sit on a bike this summer.  I'm thinking it's been 2 years since we had a bike with training wheels on it for her.  We've not encouraged it as I don't trust her iffy implulse control to keep her safe.  If she got out of the house and found a bike and just took off - oh, boy head between my knees - breathe just breathe.

She jumped on Ella's bike and just came down the driveway.  We were standing towards the end of the driveway and it didn't even register who was riding the bike because she'd just never done that before.  Jacob excitedly starts yelling, "Callie's riding a bike - Callie's riding a bike."  Thankfully he also road by her side.  She wanted to ride down the front grassy hill in our yard and I told Jacob to tell her how to us the brakes.  Then I got my camera out.  It was only after filming her successful and very controlled ride that I realized she didn't have a helmet on.  Probably not the best idea.  I was still so in shock I just wasn't thinking.

She road around and around our cul-de-sac with Jacob, then they went further down the street and Jacob started yelling at her not to go down our hill.  For those of you who don't know we have a pretty steep hill at the beginning of our street.  I started running as fast as my flip flops would let me go, but, amazingly - she had a controlled ride and stopped before charging into the busier street at the bottom of our hill.

Sometimes I think I shouldn't be amazed at what Callie does anymore.  Then I have to look at her file as I did this past week to remind myself of birth facts, wasn't there so it just doesn't stick.  The school paperwork asked for her apgar scores.  I looked and couldn't find them.  Then I looked again and the words Full Code slapped me in the face.  I'm sure I knew this, but I'd forgotten.  Callie was, well basically, born dead.  Callie - who learned to speak, walk, read, do math, write, conquered her fear of rollercoasters and darn it - rode a bike.  She also learned to love, laugh and gives us more joy than we can count as well as challenging every parenting skill we've developed over 31 years.  I've said it once and I'll say it again - Callie is a miracle!  But, no, it is not the end of the story.  There will be more, yes, much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment