My Family

My Family
Here we all are!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

An Apple A Day

I consider myself reasonably adventurous when it comes to food.  My boys and husband who only like food so hot they sweat profusely would undoubtedly disagree, but I am.  Yesterday while shopping I saw a new variety of apples, and I love a good new variety of apple,  that I will never try.

I was choosing apples somewhat based on price and somewhat on varieties we enjoy.  I bagged up some Jazz apples - very crisp and sweet - when I saw a 4 pack of apples in a plastic container.  The package was labeled "Grapples". No, not a hybrid grape/apple, but an apple infused with artificial grape flavoring.

Just what was it about naturally sweet and wonderfully flavored apples that made some genius decided it needed help to taste, better?  Are there really kids who won't eat a regular normal apple unless extra flavoring is added?

To say we have a little problem with our food America is a ridiculous understatement.  Can't we all agree to just leave our produce alone.  I know we can discuss the organic vs. inorganically grown and that there are definitely some food additives that should be off limits.  But honestly, can't we all agree that our fruits and vegetables do not need to be injected with flavoring to, well, add flavor.  Either you like the flavor as is or you don't.  Remember the expression, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away".  I'll take my apple without injections thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment